Who We Are:
Scott Advocates PLLC (New Hampshire, USA) is a broad-spectrum international commercial law firm with offices in New Hampshire, USA, Kabul, Afghanistan, and Beirut, Lebanon, and correspondent offices in Austin, Texas, Berlin, Brussels, Washington, DC, and Wilmington, Delaware.
“All-GO”: Our Mission:
Scott Advocates PLLC (“SCOTT”) serves clients around the world to include conflict/post-conflict areas, regarding host nation, US, and international legal, regulatory and taxation compliance, and broad-spectrum commercial matters and transactions. SCOTT also has deep experience in US Government contracting, labor, aviation and energy law, and related litigation to include international arbitration. Moreover, SCOTT has developed a unique, proprietary inter-disciplinary approach to effectively assist clients of good character overcome obstacles to obtaining US non-immigration visas. SCOTT maintains an active pro bono publico practice representing deserving clients in complex matters where top-tier lawyers make the difference.
“No-Show” – Who We Are Not:
You won’t find us on television or in the press. SCOTT professionals work quietly, persistently and effectively on our clients’ behalf in some of the most difficult places in the world. We are, above all, about results and protecting our clients’ interests: no ego, no pride of authorship or ownership, no schmoozing, no public praise, publicity or attention; just results. We are advocates: hard-working, “roll-up-your sleeves” lawyers who meet with clients, face-to-face, go anywhere to advocate for our clients, and deliver on our promises.
Led by founder and President, Ward E. Scott II, Esquire SCOTT is a cohesive, mission-focused team consisting of best-of-breed lawyers, law clerks and paralegals, investigators and proven managers. Colonel (Ret) Bill Varian serves as Chief Operating Officer, and Director of Investigations and Assessments, and Director of US Government contracting engagements, bringing high energy and decades of experience to the Firm’s business, investigative, and US Government contracting operations.
SCOTT is correspondent counsel to Venable LLP, which provides SCOTT clients with best of breed, full-spectrum legal services including top expertise in advising clients as to how to comply with US Sanctions, Anti-Money Laundering / Countering Finance of Terrorism (“AML/CFT”) strictures, OFAC and other prejudicial listings (to include delisting, where warranted), and Know-Your-Customer (“KYC”) protocols.
Other representative members of SCOTT’s vast reach of correspondent counsel, include: Jaber Law Firm, and Kouatly & Associates (Beirut, Lebanon) – Lebanon’s top, diversified firms; Noeer LLP (Berlin, Germany) – Germany’s and Continental Europe’s largest and most prominent firm, Morris James LLP (Wilmington, Delaware, USA) – Delaware’s most prominent corporate law firm – and Weisbart Spring Hayes LLP (Austin, Texas, USA) – a best of breed litigation and aviation law firm.
SCOTT is also proudly, strategic partner with Mantid International LLC (Delaware, USA), www.mantidinternational.com, the leading international compliance and risk mitigation consultancy on-the-ground in Baghdad and Beirut.
Our Capabilities and Practice Areas:
- Immigration and Visas
- OFAC (and other prejudicial) de-listing
- Crises Management
- Emergency Interventions to protect staff, property and operations
- Serious Incident and Work-Place Investigations
- Host and Home Government Compliance
- Defense and prosecution of commercial claims
- Labor and Employment
- Sports and Entertainment
- Supply Chain agreements and remedies
- Energy and Extractives
- Political and Legal Risk Assessment & Mitigation
- Due Diligence and Anti-Corruption Compliance
- Intellectual Property
- Business Registration and Licensure
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public and Private Contracts
- Litigation (court and arbitration)
- Litigation Support to Client Trial Counsel
- Commercial Negotiations
- Banking and Finance
- Anti-Money Laundering / Counter-Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT)
- Expert Reports, Declarations and Testimony
- Successfully achieved removal of host nation client from US Department of Defense blacklist, through painstaking investigation and effective advocacy.
- Successfully defended a major International Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in four-month Kabul Commercial Court trial (verdict in favor of the NGO).
- Successfully defended two innocent US Department of Defense contractor civil engineers in host nation criminal court and assembled an international legal team to create international pressure leading to their repatriation to their families.
- Amicably settled complex aviation claim under terms favorable to diplomatic client.
- Successfully protected numerous client companies and staff from existential threats, from “criminalized” commercial claims.
- Obtained removal of client staff and Chief of Party from no-fly, no-entry, and arrest warrant lists.
- Successfully represented international clients before host nation Ministry of Finance regarding tax claims.
- Successfully defended international corporate clients against Labor Law and employment claims within the host nation Ministries of Labor and Justice.
- Drafted innumerable Employee Handbooks, Polices and Contracts.
- Successfully drafted and negotiated countless services, supply chain and lease agreements.
- Received the 2017 International Stability Operations Association “Vanguard Award” for exemplary international service in a conflict / post-conflict zone.
- Successfully advised Fortune 100 client regarding federal criminal investigation of Iraq-based employee.
- Tried complex commercial case in US Federal Court, effectively leading a three-firm trial counsel team.